In 1835, a group met to organize an Episcopal congregation. Nine years later the first church building was built on East Market Street. New and larger church buildings followed in 1884 and 1907. In 1952, we dedicated our present building on land donated by the family of Harvey S. Firestone. An Akron landmark, St. Paul’s has woven itself into the rich fabric of Akron’s history, planting a number of mission churches and playing a pivotal role in the founding of Alcoholics Anonymous.
St. Paul’s has beautiful grounds, and a wonderful building with several distinctive features.
The Memorial Garden and the Courtyard
From earliest times, Christians dedicated spaces for the resting place of bodies and ashes, concerned especially that such places be near the gathering place of their families. Today, the desire for burial within church grounds and the common acceptance of cremation has led to the development of our Memorial Garden. The Garden allows us to remember our forbears and loved ones. It is also a quiet, lovely place for meditation.
Next to the Memorial Garden, the Courtyard is outside of The Chapel. It is also a place for quiet reflection; or, increasingly, for outdoor weddings. In the summer our Sunday services at 9:15 am move to the Courtyard.
A beautiful sanctuary at the corner of Kenilworth and West Market, with its own parking lot, the Chapel seats just over 100 people.Our Saturday evening service takes place here, as well as the 8:00 am Sunday service. Smaller weddings happen here, along with funerals, baptisms, and musical events. Of note, we dedicated the Chapel in 1957 as the Ida Mae Firestone Memorial Chapel.
Our primary location for worship is noteworthy for its bright, natural lighting and for an impressive a Wicks organ, a 1995 gift of Wright and Catherine (Sis) Bronson, united with the 1952 Möller Organ, with 85 ranks. Adjacent to the church is The Parish Hall, a place for meetings and receptions; the Art Gallery; and the East Commons, the primary entrance to the church from the main parking lot.
The Library, Nursery, & Education Wing
Our Education wing houses a Library, an intimate space for groups, individual reading, or to borrow books. On this level is also our Sunday morning Nursery; and classrooms for Sunday Schools.
St. Paul’s Pre-School
Founded in 1954, our pre-school provides a quality educational experience for children ages 3-5. It's safe. It's fun. Located on the ground floor, with easy access for pick-up and drop-off via Kenilworth Drive.